Monday, January 25, 2016

Not napping, just deeply pondering Lehi's Dream


The boy was a little later e-mailing this week.
I thought he might be- today was the day for transfers. He has been in his current area for a while, and I kind of guessed it would be time for some change.
Sure enough, he is heading out to a new area.
His email came while I was in the dentist chair. Again. This is what happens when you get older, you start to fall apart.
By the time Jayden's youngest brother goes out on his mission, I will probably have a broken hip or osteoporosis.
Here is the e-mail this week: No photos from him, but there is a photo! Later on that one...
Well Hi!
We got calls yesterday about our transfers and i am heading back to the heat of the coast!! Haha just when i thought i escaped it for a little while i am heading back! I am going to have another white companion and he is still pretty new in the mission and i think it will be fun! I will be in a different part-but in the same heat haha! 
Oh and that member is really cool that sent you that picture haha i didn't want you to see that photo because its super ugly haha! She sent it to a couple of other members and they all made fun of me!  No but the members here are super cool and really nice! I feel at home here which is really nice! 

(Mom interruption. I got a wonderful surprise this week. A friend request on Facebook! A sweet member in Elder Wadley's area Luzmery contacted me and said this:
"Hola soy la hermana luz mery castro, su hijo trabaja en nuestra rama, excelente misionero, y hoy estuvo almorzando con mi familia, y le dije que le iba a enviar una foto que le tome dormido después de almorzar, y me dio su nombre en el Facebook, un gusto saludarla"

Rough translation: "Hello I am Sister Luzmery Castro, your son works in our branch , excellent missionary, and today was having lunch with my family , and told him I was going to send a photo to you of him sleeping after lunch , and gave me your on name Facebook , it is a pleasure to greet you."

What a tender little blessing for me! My heart is so full- these sweet people of Colombia are taking care of my boy. I had to have Sam translate for me, my Spanish isn't quite there yet- and I told her thank you, and why is he so lazy to just crash on her couch? One of the members commented that he might have just been pondering on Lehi's dream. HA! For those of my non member friends who read this, here is a short little video clip that explains the ancient prophet Lehi's dream, found in the Book of Mormon- and is incidentally a symbolic description of our day, and what is going on the in world right now. https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2010-12-06-chapter-6-lehis-dream?lang=eng It was nice to see his cute face, and to see that he is well loved. Back to his e-mail:)
 

This week was a little weird but went decent. We have been focusing a lot in finding new investigators and it has been hard-but we are getting there. We have done a lot of things to find people to teach; we have asked for referrals, knocked doors, asked people who they know, talked with members, and a couple of other things, and little by little we are getting more investigators.
This week went pretty normal. On Wednesday we had a special missionary devotional that was broadcasted throughout the world and we barely got to watch it because of crappy internet haha! Oh it finally rained a little bit though this week which has been nice, it has been hotter here than normal. 
Its going to be hard leaving this area. I really enjoy it here, everybody is really cool. But as dad always says "change is good!" I am excited to see what kinda of stuff i can learn and what kind of challenges i am going to face in my new area! 
I found a scripture this week that i like a lot, 3 Nephi 26:9,11

9 And when they shall have received this, which is expedient that they should have first, to try their faith, and if it shall so be that they shall believe these things then shall the greater things be made manifest unto them.
11 Behold, I was about to write them, all which were engraven upon the plates of Nephi, but the Lord forbade it, saying: I will try the faith of my people.

I really liked these verses because this transfer will be a little difficult but i know it is for good reason and there is always something i can learn from these tests. I like what it says in verse 11, that Jesus wants to test our faith. To see if we really can trust Him in our times of need. I promise that whatever test we have, if we put our faith in God we will be blessed beyond measure! 

¡Preguntas!
1. For about three weeks now, you have been discouraged over your lack of a teaching pool. What kinds of things do you do to get investigators? I am not meaning this in a negative way. I am just wondering if there are other creative angles you can explore? And remember that teaching the gospel is important, but service is also. When we emulate Christ- we serve, as He would. Don't be discouraged! Just be aware, and be willing. I pray that you will be directed to people who are seeking peace. The gospel brings peace. Service brings peace. Just a smile, or opening a door, or giving up a seat on the bus can make someone feel noticed- and that the world is still an okay place. It brings peace. Anyway. The question was: How is your teaching pool, and what are you doing to get new investigators? I already kinda told you. 
2.Have you witnessed any miracles or tender mercies this week? One thing that i have truly noticed is that God knows exactly what you are going through and knows how to help you.
3. Have you learned any new Spanish words this week? Yeah a couple i need to learn more this week though.
4. It is going to be your HUMP DAY (mission mid-way mark) soon, do you have plans? Does your mission do anything for the halfway mark? Burn ties? I have know idea what we are going to do haha, sweat?
5. Are any hot chicks writing you? There area one or two:)
Anyways i love you guys and hope you have a great week!!
Elder Wadley
Elder Wadley hit 11 months today. Not that anyone is counting or anything, but yeah. :)

From Sam's email. A little back story: The Wadley family owns two bowling centers. Sam runs one, and his Dad runs the other. As a result our kids have worked at the family business since about the age of 10. Elder Wadley found a sweet six lane bowling center for p-day and sent Sam these pictures. I am sure he probably could have run that place, blindfolded.
Six lanes!

Keeping your own score.

If you look really close, you can see that they don't have machines that set the pins, they have kids behind the lane that set them up after you roll a ball.


Elder Wadley should probably be grateful he wasn't a "pin boy" back home at his job. I am glad to see he is keeping up on his bowling skills! Making the family proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment