Wednesday, June 8, 2016

A Spiritual Superhero

This past week we took a little last minute family vacation to Hawaii for the last time before Brendan heads off on his mission. (June 29th!) I am not sure what happened, but I wrote Jayden an e-mail and it disappeared? It didn't show up- EVER- in my "sent mail" folder. I found it in "the cloud." (No idea how "the cloud" works.) I re-sent it, and like I said, it never showed up in my sent folder. So I wrote him another quick "not sure if you got my e-mail" e-mail.
I'll tell you what, nothing makes you feel old and stupid quite like technology.

The past couple of months our family has been experiencing some difficulties. I mention it here because I think it is important to note that our life isn't perfect.
I am definitely not perfect. I struggle with things like everyone else.
And I am pretty sure that Satan is working over-time on us, as we prepare to send another son out in the world to teach people about the Savior.
I was just really humbled with Elder Wadley's advice back to me. 
It was just what I needed to hear. It really helped me to re-focus, count my blessings, and look for the good in my day-to-day life.
Crazy how in-tune my little missionary is with limited knowledge of our situation and from 3500 miles away.
Here is part of my e-mail I wrote to Jayden:
I have to tell you- the past couple of months have been hard ones. We have had some things going on that are nothing you need to worry about- but it has been a stressful time for us. The only reason I mention anything is because I am so disappointed in myself. When things got hard- I immediately got angry at God because it felt like He wasn't there. I felt like I prayed- and things still didn't happen the way I wanted it to. It is disheartening to watch evil win and good people struggle. I am ashamed to say that when a trial came, I folded and let it make me doubt and get bitter. I know that He is working on answering my prayers, but waiting on His time table is very hard. I just really felt like I was doing pretty okay spiritually and it was hard to see how horribly I weathered that storm.
Faith is a hard one, sometimes. I need to use this as an opportunity to strengthen my faith and my resolve to trust Him- and know that He knows what is best for us long term.
Anyway. Just know that no one is exempt from temptations and trials and be patient with people. You never know what battles they are facing.
I also know that when you are prepared enough to face trials- it is Heavenly Father allowing you to grow and be perfected.
It sure sucks.
I'd kinda rather just be mediocre and bypass the whole growth by trial thing. ;)
Anyway. On that note. We are all healthy and happy! This too shall pass- and it is. And I am ever so grateful for all the blessings we have. There are many that we recognize as direct blessings from your service.
Here is Elder Wadley's e-mail this week:
Well your email got here....twice! I totally forgot that you guys were going to go to Hawaii! I hope that the trip went well and that everything went good!
Also i had no idea that you guys were having a hard time with some stuff. I don't really know what exactly but i think that its cool that you can recognize that a lot of the time it is our fault and we are way to quick to blame God or other people or think that God isn't there for us but He always is! A lot of times it is hard to understand that though and it feels like He has left us but in reality He is always there for us and He knows what is best for us. 
I have been thinking a lot this week about a lot of things. I have been feeling kinda bad lately about a lot of things. Lately i have been able to realize is that every place i am in and every person i meet is for a reason. What i have really learned lately is that everyone's mission (in the field or in life) is designed exactly for them. All the experiences, trials, bad companions, study time, everything is for you and there is something you can learn in every moment. Also i have been trying really hard to just enjoy everything that i am going through- and find the good. Sometimes the office isn't that fun and we don't get to do a whole lot of normal missionary stuff but that doesn't mean that i cant enjoy it. I don't know there are a lot of changes and stuff i need to make and have a better attitude towards a lot more things. There are a lot of things that i need to get better at but it all starts out with the little things!
Alma 37:6Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.
This last week was kinda nuts because we were in charge of all the new missionaries that get here and of all the ones that are going home and getting all of their stuff put together. It is a lot of running around and setting stuff up and it gets pretty stressful. We got everything done and it all went pretty smooth which is good.
Other than that these last days have been pretty normal.
Well i love you! I hope your Hawaii trip was good!
Elder Wadley
And he made my week by sending me some pictures! The first one is my new favorite. For all of the growing up he has done, it is nice to see that he still has love for the Superheroes of his childhood.
"A house where the kids like to play with us!" with Elder Flores (Seriously- how darling are these kids?!)
"A Family Home Evening we had last night!"

"Me and Elder Flores teaching in the rain (we couldn't go in the house because there wasn't a guy in the house)"
Jayden and I think Elder Flores, but it is a weird angle
This cute photo was sent to me from Sister Calderon (the mission president's wife) It is such a blessing to have surprise pictures pop up in my Facebook messenger!



No comments:

Post a Comment