Monday, December 14, 2015

Colombian Christmas Lights

I guess I am a visual person.
This week Elder Wadley sent a bunch of photos- and it made me so happy! I like seeing where my boy lives, and I like scrutinizing every picture for everything that I can get out of it. When he sends me pictures of him- I notice that his neck is thicker, and his watch is holding up. I notice his haircut, and if his smile goes all the way up into his eyes. When he sends a photo of his apartment, I look in the background and notice things from home. I notice his schedule for the week written in his handwriting on a white board. Photos make me feel connected to him from 3500 miles away.
This week he sent some pictures of a beautiful cathedral in his area, and Christmas lights amid palm trees.
Elder Wadley and Elder Pacaya


The lights spell out "Manizales", his area.
Here is his e-mail this week:
Whats up fam!?
Well first off i got a package i think it is the Thanksgiving one, so you don't freak out about that:) Well we got our cambios today and i am staying here but getting a new comp. I am kinda excited it will be nice to have a change! This week has been a pretty normal week again it went by super fast! We found a couple new people this week and i want to be able to put baptismal dates with them but we haven't had much time to work with them. Everything is going good though! I am excited to get my new comp and go to work. 
Usually what i do every week is read through my journal again before i come and write everything down because like i said the week goes by super fast and i forget a lot of stuff. Just goes to show how important keeping a journal really is. I did take a lot of photos this week though so that should make you happy. 
I found a scripture this week in my personal study that is pretty cool Alma 34:28
        
            28 And now behold, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, do not suppose that this is all; for after ye have done all these things, if ye turn away the needy, and the naked, and visit not the sick and afflicted, and impart of your substance, if ye have, to those who stand in need—I say unto you, if ye do not any of these things, behold, your prayer is vain, and availeth you nothing, and ye are as hypocrites who do deny the faith.

I don't know why but i really liked it. I this chapter-it talks about prayer. A lot of times we pray for something or ask for something and then we don't act. Or God gives us opportunities to do stuff but we forget to act. This scripture has changed my outlook a little bit on prayer. 
Sorry my emails have kinda sucked lately. I guess i need to be a little bit more aware these next coming weeks.
Las preguntas.
1- (What has been your hardest experience so far? What did you learn from it?) Hardest thing in the mission is making changes. Sometimes you know what you need to do but your old habits are easier and you fall into old habits. 
2- (Do you have any advice for Brendan as he is preparing for his mission?) Study. Prepare yourself and do everything you can.
3- (Do the Colombians have any unique customs for Christmas?) No pretty normal they eat Buñuelos and Natilla and light Pólvora.
4- (Do they have Christmas trees there?) Yeah and the are expensive.
5- (What local foods have you eaten?) A lot of stuff haha everyday is local food:)
6- (How are the bugs in this area? Less, more?) Less haha a lot less, but there are a lot of dogs.
7- (Are there more gringos in your area? Anyone you know?) As of right now there are 3 haha one of them is Elder Welling, the stud that i flew from Salt Lake with.
Anyway i will hit you with some pictures:) I love you lots!! Have a great week!!
Elder Wadley


Everyone in short sleeves! Christmas in Colombia.
Elder Pacaya, Elder Wadley
Sent to Sam this week. Missing Moab.

Elder Herrera, heading back home this week to Provo, Utah and Elder Wadley


Catedral de Manizales.
I did a close up of the sculpture outside the Cathedral.
He seems to be healthy and happy and ready to work. That is everything that a mom likes to hear. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment